Sunday, December 13, 2009

Olivia de Havilland



Olivia de Havilland. Great actress. Beautiful leading lady. Double Oscar winner. Published author. Inspiration for tattoos?

I recently watched one of Miss de Havilland's rare interviews. Towards the end she recited the second stanza of a poem she had written as a depressed, homeless teenager. Her parents had recently banished her from the house (after she broke the "no after school activities rule"- her choics were drop out of the play or leave home for good.) and she was rightly distressed. The stanza reads as follows:


"Weary, the paths of this life we tread
on, like a march, the tired, dead.
Where does it get us, this struggle and pain?
What do we matter? What do we gain?"

Now, I don't know about you, but I find that quite beautiful. Seeing as how her writing pretty much mirrors my daily inner-monologue, I have decided that I shall immortalize her poem in my first tattoo. On my lower back I shall have the words of Olivia de Havilland forever inked onto my skin.

Delicious. Maybe I should write to her and ask her permission first. I'll let you know how that goes.

Peace, love & glamour.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea for a tattoo! It seems she was brilliant even as a depressed teenager.
    I, myself, have Groucho Marx tattooed on my upper left arm :)

    ReplyDelete